Homer laughlin dating system
In 1923, Homer Laughlin announced that they would build yet another new plant, this time with tunnel kilns. At about this same time, the intermittent kilns at plants 4 & 5 were replaced with tunnel kilns.
In 1927, plant #7, equal in size to plant 6, was opened.
Initially, all of plant #8 production was allocated to make ware for Woolworth's. Almost coincidental with the opening of the last great Newell plant was the retirement of W. Rhead's 15 year reign proved to be the most prolific period of new product introductions in the company's history.
Rhead designed Virginia Rose as well as the several Eggshell shapes.
Homer and Shakespeare Laughlin, two brothers from East Liverpool, Ohio, formed a partnership in 1871 to sell pottery ware, which was made in the factories located in their hometown.
The 1950's saw a large increase in imported dinnerware which was produced in countries with very low labor costs.
The Laughlin Brothers submitted a proposal which was accepted by the Council and a two kiln plant was built on the banks of the Ohio River in 1873. The Laughlin Brothers quickly gained a reputation for quality and, in 1876, their white granite ware won an award at the United States Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia. Within two years, a second plant was built in the East End of East Liverpool, expanding further to three East End plants by 1903.
The plant was built on land purchased from Benjamin Harker for 0. By 1877, Shakespeare, the younger brother, was ready to move on to pursue other interests. Key customers contributing to the company's rapid growth included the F. Woolworth Company, the country's fastest growing variety (5 & 10 cent) store chain, and the American Cereal Company of Chicago, who was packing oatmeal bowls in Mother's Oats boxes as fast as Homer Laughlin could produce them.
During the war years, much of the company's production was shifted to the production of china for our armed forces.
After the war, production returned to normal and the company reached its peak production year in 1948.